Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Day #4 - 29 August 2007

We'll need to pack for the Perth trip tomorrow so we don't have much time for today's blog and next few days' blog.. here are a few pics of teasers ;)

A guy from the Navy Band based in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (who was in town for a holiday) told me that he'll post me on his website : http://www.terrencebyrne.com/ once he gets back to US. Say about 1 week from now? Check it out then!

* Added on 3rd September- Terrence emailed me saying that he'll be back in Hawaii only on 11th September hence the pics and his blog posts will be up then. Thanks Terrence! No worries! Enjoy your stay here...I'm sure we'll meet up again and have our pics taken together! ;)

*Added on 4th September*

Today, Su, Audrey and I decided to bring my now-more-familiar 'roomies' to Batu Caves as they wanted to practise their photography skills and we all hadn't been there in a while (since our highschool days). Su prepared herself with a Canon EOS and Audrey, with a Olympus compact and myself with a Panasonic compact. I woke up at 8.30am as we all planned to depart from Su's place in Taman Desa at 10.00 am and I knew there were another 3 who needs to hog the washroom! Haha. We arrived at Su's place at 10.00am sharp. However, we did sit around chatting while waiting for Audrey to arrive and I tried out the IGallop for the first time at her place. I gotta admit, it was quite tiring after sometime. It works the core and the thighs when you maintain a straight back while riding. Audrey arrived at 11am plus and we departed in Su's car (all 6 of us) and used the LDP to get to Batu Caves.

We had anticipated getting slightly lost as we were not really sure of the direction but the roadsigns were pretty clear (to my surprise!) and we made it there. Upon arrival, the car was parked and we walked towards the entrance of Batu Caves where a HUGE gold statue was. There were many pigeons pecking at the floor and even as we tried to emulate a scene from those European ad (you know, where people run through a flock on birds in the ground and the birds fly away), the Batu Caves pigeons wouldn't be bothered! I guess they're used to the crowd thronging there and a few ladies running around them must have probably made us look like we're crazy to them. There were many tourists milling around and even there was a stage set up for an Indian ceremony where a prominent Indian minister's face was right in the backdrop. Too bad the Indian ceremony was not due till the next 2 days. I will be in Perth then. Some DIGI kiosks were set up there too. However, no spotters approached me despite me letting the DJs know my plan and it was announced on air. Ah well, I guess those people who were listening had to work that day. Anyway, we were ready for our climb hence we started off ahead (ISP and me) of Su and Audrey as they would take our pics progressively as we head up the stairs.
As we headed up the stairs, we noticed there were monkeys roaming around. Now, these monkeys were very human-attuned like those pigeons. They were not perturbed when any of us humans went near them. Luckily for my regular gym outings, I made it up those 292 steps (did you really know that?) without really much effort except for some loss of breath and slight perspiration. It was more of the steepness and the height which made me slightly vertigo. And poor ISP got a bit banged up on the edges at the bottom as it grew steeper and I couldn't really angle them too much myself!
Finally, all of us got to the top and we continued snapping our pics. We even got a red dot as a blessing on our forehead. Later, we found out it may be made of cow dung...so...ewww...but haha, we left it on. Organic mask?! :p We were even told to watch out for our belongings (both verbal (by the Indians up there) and written (there were signages on the walls) as the monkeys are known to just stick out their arms and get hold of whatever which is not guarded properly. I instantly tightened my grip on ISP! Not long after we reached the top, we heard a crack. A monkey actually threw a coconut at us. Thank goodness, no one was injured and the coconut hit the floor with a crack not far from us. All of us shouted at the monkey (not really caring that it was really a monkey...as we were pretty annoyed.) After that, we just continued our trip. Haha.





A few more figures of Indian dieties were up there. There was a booth set up at the top where visitors can have their pictures taken and developed on the spot as souvenirs. I decided to approach them with ISP and mentioned what they could win if they took my pic. One of the Indian ( I assume the head shopkeeper) picked up the iguana and handed it over to me as I stood next to ISP. Without hesitation and not thinking much, I took hold of it and proceeded with the photo shoot. Haha, yea, kind of felt like some sort of celebrity as many of those tourist were standing around taking my pic as well. I even had my own powder session as the Indian grabbed a tissue from a tissue box and dabbed at my face which was slick with sweat (from the climbing...not from the iguana, surprisingly). The iguana kinda looked dazed and not bothered with being handled by this sweaty lady! After many frames, I thought it was over. No.....the Indian picked up his snake (this few feet long python- I've never been good with 'feet' measurement) and placed it around my neck. I didn't protest either as I knew that it was gonna be a memorable experience. Sides, that snake looked as dazed and not bothered. Alright, if anything happened to me, it will make a splash on the headlines as well...so what the heck. Publicity is what I need anyway and this experience...will be unforgettable. The python was quite heavy actually and it hardly moved. It was kinda like wrapping a long leather bag around your shoulders (if you get to find one as long..). Haha. The cameras kept clicking around me. I was just savoring the whole moment at that point. The Indian was using this camera with those long zoom lenses (those cameras are often spotted around F1 circuits or concerts - yes, I was at the front row just barely a week ago at Gwen Stefani's concert; if only I had gotten ISP then!!! Talk about timing. Right splat infront of Gwen. Only a bouncer stood between me and Gwen) and he did really act like a pro ie. kept saying put your head down, look left/right, chin down/up etc. After a long time, he came over and helped me 'unload' my newly-found reptile friends. I patted the iguana for the last time after that. The Indian guy gave me 2 Polaroid printout after that for my keepsakes =) thanks man as I gave my full name and first 6 digits of my IC no to him, rattling off on what to do to win that cash. He mentioned he had no internet but I said his relatives should have. He said he'll try. Right after that, he loaded my pic onto one of his tv screens. I thanked him and while I walked away, a few others mentioned that it was very interesting and hope I won't mind them taking my pictures. I said no problem and repeated my whole explanation for ISP again. None of them were from the press but they were interesting people. As we all headed further into the caves and me lugging ISP along (now slightly damp around the edges - yeap, I gave them a good wipe when we reached home later at night!), I saw 2 familiar faces! They were in the queue with me as we lined up for the Twin Tower skybridge visit yesterday! It was the Swiss guy with his Malaysian wife! Keke, what fated coincidence! We chatted some more like long lost friends and had our pictures taken and exchanged contacts...in case if I decide to head to the Alps for a holiday one day!


As we ventured deeper in to the caves, Su and Audrey practising cool camera angles/moves, I looked around. It was amazing to see these rocks form from small particles (I had an interesting visit/talk/walk up in the Blue Mountains, Sydney during May 2007 - just a few months back and was aware of how the formation came about) and the loooong process that took. Even before prehistoric times.. There were very impressive structures and statues around there too and the monkeys got more friendly as they didn't scoot away when some of us got near to have a better pic. Some pics depicted in this blog are from Su and Audrey who were just snapping away. Once we've gotten enough pics, we decided to head back down the 292 steps. As we went down the stairs, a very odd thing happened. We noticed two blondes were in the stairs next to us and a monkey was imitating the movement of one of them who was holding a small carton of soya bean milk drink. The two blondes were just giggling and trying to get away from the monkey but the monkey would not stop trailing them. Suddenly, the monkey did something which made the blond who was holding the drink jump and drop the drink with a shriek. Without wasting any time, the monkey pounced on it and punched a hole in the carton which made the drink leak out and all over the floor, making a white puddle around it. The blond was momentarily stunned, just watching as the monkey lapped and drunk from the puddle. We all were stunned as well watching the whole spectacle. So, as a conclusion: DO NOT BRING FOOD to Batu Caves as you will attract non-human attention! We left not long after reaching the bottom.

Since we were all sweaty after that climb, Su proposed we go to One U which was not far away to have a drink. We got the car parked and I led them to Delicious where the drinks and food there were great! We had to go towards the back of the restaurant as most of the tables were taken up (it was lunchtime then) and needless to say, many people were staring as I took ISP along. I was getting used to it, not to mention some restaurants who tells us recruiters to put the ISP aside ie. facing the wall or something. I mean, cmon, it's not like we're handling out pamphlets or doing actual advertising while we are patronizing the restaurant. Anyhow, I went out shortly after placing my order to the ladies not far away with ISP to wash up (I bet the iguana and the python doesn't really enjoy showers..). Luck struck again as I came out from the ladies with ISP. I saw a camera crew recording at the Biotherm counter just outside of Parkson and across Coffee Bean. As expected, I walked over and asked them what was that about. It was for GoGoTrendy, an Astro show for fashion trends and beauty tips. I hung around the set hoping to get a shot. So, if anyone of you watched GoGoTrendy with ISP and a lady hanging around, please do not hesitate to let me know! Keke. The videocamera was rolling for a short time before I left and returned to Delicious for lunch. Jacelyn spotted me then! :D
We decided to walk around and do some shopping after that to walk off the lunch. To my dismay, there were no spotters. Hmm, must the reason be that it was a weekday and not many people shop? Feeling tired after 2 hours of shopping and walking around, we decided to call it a day and headed home. I had to start packing for my trip to Perth tomorrow.

We had dinner at Nando's @ Jusco Taman Maluri later in the evening.

Some updates on my bruise. My mom suggested to cut an old pair of socks and wear over my arm to prevent this from further bruises. Perhaps the other recruiters can consider that ie. Mira who left a comment on my page. :) Thanks Mira! Good luck to you too!




No comments: